Creating Schedules – Add or Upload Shifts
The easiest way to get your first schedule into our system is to duplicate one of your previously scheduled weeks.
Your first schedule takes the longest to set up – once you have defined your shifts for the first week, you can then copy (Import) it into future weeks and make any necessary changes and use AutoFill to get the best work assignments for the new week.
Note you also can Upload a file of shifts if you have one.
Optional: If many of your shifts have the same begin and end times (or unpaid lunch breaks or color, etc.) you can create Categories first so that you can choose them when adding shifts to quickly populate default fields as you add your initial shifts.
There are two ways to add shifts manually.
1. Use the By Employee View and click a cell
From any Page:
- In top menu, hover over SCHEDULES and choose By Employee (recommended for creating and editing your schedules)
- Click Week> to navigate to the week you want
- Click the cell that corresponds to the employee and day you want to add a shift (the cursor turns to plus sign) to open the Quick Shift ADD window
- Click the Select a Position down arrow and choose a position
- Add a Start and End Time for the shift – Enter time with ‘a’ or ‘p’ after it to indicate AM or PM. (Ex. 815a), or military time (Ex. 2215). You can enter any times you like down to the minute (the times can later be changed to reflect actual time worked if you like).
- Paid Hours – (Duration) – if the shift includes unpaid lunch or break time you can uncheck the Auto Calculate box and enter the paid hours for this shift. (Ex. 8am to 5pm with an hour lunch, enter 8 paid hours)
- Check off any other days of the week to add this shift – to quickly add the same shift for this employee on those days
- Click Add Shift button
Make a mistake? If you need to change any shift, you can drag/drop it to another day or employee, or click the shift to change the times, position, or employee assigned or to delete it. Or you can use the Grid View to make changes to more than one shift at a time. To copy a shift use Ctrl drag/drop.
Note: After adding the shift(s), the window will close and your schedule is immediately updated without the page reloading.
2. Adding Shifts using the Add Shifts button
Optional information that can be entered for any shift
Optional Description – Can be displayed with the shift on the schedules (Ex. if there are special instructions to the employee, break / lunch times, location notes, or meeting times and is included in notification emails.)
Optional Category – If you have shifts with similar begin and end times over multiple Positions, or if you have other reasons to use Categories, you can click the Category drop down and choose “Add/Edit Categories” to create Categories. (Ex. if you have similar night shifts for different positions, you can create a NIGHT category and enter defaults so that when you Add Shifts, you can first choose that Category and the fields will be pre-populated – but changeable – for you in the Shift Change window).
To add an “Unassigned shift” – Click the Add Shifts button at the top of the schedule (or click on a day in the highlighted unassigned shifts row at the top of the schedule) and leave the employee assigned set to “None – Unassigned”.
Note: You can have unassigned shifts automatically posted to the Tradeboard when you Publish so that employees can pick them up.
add,Add Shifts,assign,category,multiple,shift text,description,initially, client,create,times,time period,auto calc, autocalc,meal break,schedule,schedule Set up shifts adding schedule to a calendar new schedule creating a calendar add shifts create a schedule how to create a schedule