Requiring Manager Approval for Trades/Drops & Picking up Unassigned Shifts
On the SETTINGS>Global Employee Permissions page, the option to “Allow Trades With Manager Approval” gives you control, requiring manager approval before any employee trades can take place.
If you have set Trades or Drop/Pick ups to be “With Manager Approval”
- You will receive a trade request only after both employees have agreed to trade their shifts
- If you approve the request, the shifts are updated in the schedule and the employees are notified
- If you reject the request, the affected employees receive notification that it was denied, and requestor may want to repost the shift to the Tradeboard
- You will receive a drop/pickup request when an employee wants to drop a shift after another employee agrees to pick it up
- If you approve the request, the shift is updated in the schedule and the employees are notified
- If you reject the trade/drop, the employees receive notification that it was denied, and the requestor may want to repost the shift to the Tradeboard
Employees cannot Drop a shift unless another employee first agrees to pick it up (but you can let employees unassign themselves from shifts using Permission #19 on the SETTINGS>Global Employee Permissions page).
Example: John wants to drop a shift. He clicks on his shift and chooses to place it on the Tradeboard as a “drop.” Jane sees his shift on the Tradeboard and clicks on the shift and agrees to pick up his shift. If you allow drops “At Will,” the schedule would then reflect Jane assigned to that shift. If you allow drops only with “Manager Approval,” then the shift is removed from the Tradeboard and a pending trade request notification is sent to the manager and is seen in the “What’s New” section of the Manager Home Page and on the “Pending Trades” page.
Some managers periodically review the Tradeboard and unassign or reassign shifts listed as drops.
Note that whenever a shift pick up will put an employee over their max hours per week, it will be sent for manager approval on the “Pending Trades” page.